Coaches Code of Conduct
*Applied in 2018 to our program.
Failure to comply will result in warning, suspension, dismissal from the league and all SYC activities or other action as deemed appropriate by the SYC President and Board of Directors.
1. Never criticize players, assistant coaches, referees, or other league personnel in front of spectators. Reserve constructive criticism for private, or in the presence of the team should it benefit them.
2. Accept decisions of the game officials on the field and league officials as being fair and called to the best of the official’s ability, if in question note on BLUE SHEET for review by AYL Board.
3. Do not criticize any opposing team or club, its players, coaches, team moms or fans by word of mouth, in writing, emails, tweets, Facebook posts or gestures.
4. Do not criticize the SYC or AYL by word of mouth, in writing, emails, tweets, Facebook posts or gestures; as a coach you are responsible for enforcing this with the parents or guardians of the players on the team. Understand that it is a privilege to coach in this league and for the SYC.
5. Encourage good academic performance by your players. Emphasize that good athletes strive to be good students.
6. Strive to make every basketball activity serve as a training ground for life and a basis for good mental and physical health.
7. Emphasize that winning the game is the result of good teamwork.
8. Together, with the game officials, be jointly responsible for the conduct and control of your team, fans, and spectators. Any fan that becomes a nuisance or is out of control shall be asked to leave and may result in suspension or further disciplinary actions, up to dismissal from the team and forfeiture of all registration fees and restrictions from present and future participation in any SYC activity.
9. Refrain from using abusive and profane language before anyone.
10. Coaches, players and team personnel are not to receive any kind of payment in cash services as a member of SYC.
11. Do not allow ineligible players to participate in a game.
12. Do not deliberately provoke unsportsmanlike conduct.
13. Refrain from the drinking of alcoholic beverages at any game or practice gyms. Do not engage in SYC coaching or refereeing activities while under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substances.
14. Remove from a game or practice any player, when even slightly in doubt of their health (whether as a result of injury or not), until competent medical advice is available.
15. Control your fans. Remember, as a team coach, you are responsible for your team, and fan reaction will usually be in step with your reaction. When you are at SYC events (even if your team is not in the game) help control fans that are overreacting.
16. Use only practice gyms assigned to your team by the SYC. This is for insurance purposes. Do not change to a different gym unless directed by the SYC or Basketball Board Member.
17. Uphold all policies, rules, and regulations regarding the Arapahoe Youth Basketball League.
18. Do not associate SYC with any personal endeavors or public events such as but not limited to, camps or tournaments. SYC will not indemnify or insure any outside activity without prior Board of Directors approval.